Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Our Bulbs Have Bloomed

The day after Thanksgiving, "Black Friday" as it is commonly known, I spent, among other things, planting bulbs.  In particular, Amaryllis and Paper Whites.  Not being able to putz in the gardens or with the pots on the deck during the winter months makes me a little crazy.  So planting some indoor bulbs helps to keep my hands in the dirt.  I placed the pots with the bulbs in the window box in the kitchen which faces east.  That gave them plenty of morning light.  I watered the Paper Whites frequently.  The Amaryllis required fewer waterings; just enough to keep the soil moist but not wet. Below is a pictorial of my indoor bulb garden.  I hope you enjoy.


This picture was taken a couple of weeks after planting.  You can see that this bulb was very healthy.


The same with the other Amaryllis.  This one sent up two separate flowers.  In the foreground you can see the bud of the Paper White just about to open.


In the midst of all this, there is this cute little cachepot with chicks and hens and some other little tropical looking plans which was presented to me by my dear friend Lea for my birthday in early November.  That is getting regular drinks of water along with the other plants in this area.  And looking very healthy.


In this picture, taken a few days later, you see the Paper Whites just starting to open.  Lots of buds ready to open.


And, some days later, a beautiful display.  These were so incredible.


Finally, today, this Amaryllis has unfurled.  And it is quite a looker.


Another shot looking into the center of one of the blooms.


And on the other side of the window shelf, we have these wonderful Amaryllis just starting to bloom. These are just beautiful.  We missed having them in bloom for Christmas by a week and a half. Lesson learned.  Next year we will plant just prior to Thanksgiving rather than the day after.  That will mean gorgeous blooms for Christmas day and even through the new year.  I think I'll put these bulbs in brown paper bags after they are done blooming and place them in a cold, dark place for use again next year.





No comments: